Ournation’s abundant seafaring history supplies an engaging background for a see to these port cities. Here are 5 seaside neighborhoods worth checking out:
1. Duluth,Minn –– Located on Lake Superior, at the western end of the Great LakesSt Lawrence Seaway, Duluth is the farthest-inland freshwater seaport and among the most considerable ports in all of North America.
Learnabout the area’s shipping history at Canal Park as you dine and view huge lake providers pass under world-famous Aeriel LiftBridge Take a harbor cruise, fish, cruising, kayaking, shopping or go to a lighthouse.
Contact: www.VisitDuluth com
2. Port Canaveral,Fla –– Just 45 minutes east of Orlando, you’ll discover the nation’s fastest growing cruise port. It’s departure point for cruisings used by Royal Caribbean, Disney, Carnival and other lines bound for the Bahamas and beyond. You’ll wish to go to the neighboring Kennedy Space Center Visitor’s Complex, Florida’s entrance to area. Get influenced by the Shuttle Launch Experience, astronaut encounters, household over night experiences, behind-the-scenes trips and hands-on activities.
Contact: www.PortCanaveral com; www.VisitSpaceCoast com
3. Baltimore –– Not long earlier, Baltimore was an aging commercial port city. But a remarkable renaissance turned the Inner Harbor into a family-friendly tourist location. Visit Fort McHenry, run by the National Park Service, which has actually worked as the guardian of Baltimore’s harbor given that the late 1700 s. It was the worthy defense of the star-shaped fort that influenced poet-lawyer Francis Scott Key to compose “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Make time for a stop at the world-renowned Baltimore Aquarium, go to the Edgar Allen Poe museum, cruise the harbor, take in a video game at Camden Yards or delight in a crab banquet.
Contact: www.baltimore.org; www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm
4. Port Townsend,Wash –– On the northeast idea of the Olympic Peninsula and situateded on a bluff at the head of Puget Sound, Port Townsend is among 3 National Victorian Seaports (together with Galveston, Texas, and Cape May, N.J.) and the just one situated on the WestCoast The entire household will delight in the city trendy ambiance while checking out stores and galleries. Just miles from Olympic National Park, the electrical power of an as soon as busy seaport still sticks around in the salt air. Ask about the yearly wood boat celebration.
Contact: www.EnjoyPT.com; www.woodenboat.org
5. Cape May, N.J. –– A National Historic Landmark city, this captivating seaside escape was settled by whalers and anglers in colonial times. Stretching 20 miles into the sea, the Navy has long had an existence in the location in an effort to safeguard American seaside shipping. Today, visitors delight in tree-canopied streets, Victorian architecture, shop shopping and a day at the beach. Families will likewise delight in checking out nature tracks, whale, dolphin and bird watching, mini golf, fishing and cycling. Free visitor’s guide offered. Contact: www.capemaychamber.com
Family travel 5: Coastal neighborhoods worth checking out by: Farah Grimm published: