The Lai Reua Fai, Nakhon Phanom’s well-known and mythological annual illuminated boat competition, is taken into account one of many Kingdom’s most spectacular cultural festivals to mark the top of Buddhist Lent, or Ok Phansa.
The Illuminated Boat Procession is held yearly throughout the eleventh lunar month when Thai Buddhists on this northeastern province launch the Lai Reua Fai to drift them down the Mekong River. Residents pay respect to the Lord Buddha and make choices to legendary serpents (‘Naga’ in Thai) which supposedly reside within the mighty river and its many tributaries.
It can be believed that this ceremony washes disappointment and life’s troubles down the river whereas additionally bringing success to individuals and believers.
The native individuals of Nakhon Phanom collect along with Buddhist monks from every village temple to spectacularly beautify the boats and rafts weeks earlier than the competition takes place. They then load them with meals, flowers, incense sticks, candles and handmade lanterns. Once lit, these illuminated boats are then launched making a spectacular visible spectacle as they float down the legendary Mekong River.
Highlights at this 12 months’s Nakhon Phanom Illuminated Boat Procession Festival embrace:
- Daily Lai Reua Fai illuminated boat processions on the Mekong River. Visitors can view illuminated boats from round Nakhon Phanom, cultural performances, music and leisure plus a strolling road that includes native meals and handicrafts over 9 days.
- Historic Lai Reua Fai each day show at Wat Pho Sri temple
- Cultural efficiency paying respect to Phra That Phanom at Wat Phra That Phanom (5 October)
– Illuminated boat road procession at Nakhon Phanom Municipality (5 October)
– Lan Tawan Boek Fa music and cultural competition (5 October)
- Long boat racing at Wat Phra In Plaeng from 2 to four October
– Lan Phanom Naga native meals truthful from 30 September to 2 October
– Tak Bat Devo Festival at Lan Phanom Naga (6 October)
Nakhon Phanom Illuminated Boat Procession 2017 by: Pamela Hendrix published: